Sunday, April 6, 2014

February 17, 2014

  Our church got tagged. Sad day! But they got all the spray paint
off, so that's nice. Man, I feel like every time I start writing, I
forget what I want to tell you. After emailing time is over, I
suddenly remember what ever it is I left out. Goodness. Hopefully it
will come. Alright, let's see. First of, it won't stop snowing!!! They
say it's supposed to get pretty warm this week, and are concerned that
it will move too quickly, causing lots of flooding. Service
opportunity? Hope so. I know everything happens for a reason, so
what's the reason for all the snow? A normal winter here consists of
maybe three days below zero. This winter, according to one of our
investigators who has a snow plowing business, has had a little over
30 days below zero. Yes, I'm very cold, but the hearing in this
apartment is great. That's a huge blessing right there. :D
     Bah, I just looked out the window and the snow is picking back up
again. They said a storm is supposed to hit today. We got part of it
already. The storm is supposed to bring about six inches of snow. By
Wednesday the temperature should hit in the 40's! Just the thought of
warmth makes me giddy. Wonderful! I look forward to summer, but what
scares me is that it's my last summer here I'm the mission. Summer
will fly by quickly, and then winter will come and my mission will be
over... What on earth?! I'm not ready for that. I have a greater
understanding of why missionaries come home and act all awkward. I
will probably be one of them. Oh! I have a fun story! So, last week we
had a sisters conference where we learned a lot, even a self defense
move. This move is perfect for if the attacker is a drunk man. If you
do this move and hold it for more than five seconds, the person will
die, so don't hold for more than five seconds. Good to know. An Elder
laughed when he found out about this move. He said he can't picture me
pulling it on someone. Apparently, I'm too little and nice. False! I'm
tougher than I look (Cough cough).
     Speaking of drunk guys, or those who get high. When they answer
the door, they are either really awkward or funny. Depends on the
person. I mentioned the story about the drunk man getting confused
about where he lives and trying to walk into a members home while we
were there, right? Woah. I just walked through the storm to get to the
building with internet connection. Ha ha, it's really windy. That was
a fun walk. :)
      Our investigator came to church again!!! So happy!!! I just love
her so much!!! Ah!! So wonderful!!!!!!!
     Anyway, something I want to mention again is member missionary
work. This is very important in missionary work. I know I have
mentioned it before, but I really want to expound on that. If every
member were to get involved, missionary work would pick up like crazy.
Teaching would be so much easier. If members were to reach out to
their friends who aren't members, or were to work with each other to
find and befriend less active members or non members, the lives of
those individuals would be so blessed, testimonies would be
strengthened, and the Spirit would burn so brightly for the world
would see. The example of each member is so important. I was just
reading this morning in Alma about how the members became prideful,
were unkind, became bad examples, and missionary work greatly
decreased. People didn't want to learn because of what they had
already seen. We were told the statistic that about 1 in 1,000 people
who the missionaries come in contact with by knocking on doors get
baptized. 2/3 people who are taught in members homes get baptized.
Members have a huge impact. People look at us missionaries and expect
us to be perfect, but when they see and become friends with the
members who can relate, they feel better. They feel like they do fit
in, that there is a place for them, that they do belong. The church is
for everyone! Members are essential to missionary work. When members
get involved over here, it's so wonderful. It's amazing how the
members come to lessons and can connect and help the investigators. If
we were to walk up to someone and start talking about the gospel
(which we do), they would think we were crazy (most people do). On the
other hand, when people have friends who are members and they see
their example and how happy they are, they get curious and are open to
learning more. When their member friends invite them to sit in on a
quick spiritual message when they have the missionaries over for
dinner, they feel the Spirit testifying to them. Their hearts become
softened and they get a glimpse of the immense love our Heavenly
Father and Savior have for them. They are then prepared to hear the
gospel. Both they and the missionaries will be so happy!!! And you, as
the member, get to experience that great and unique joy that you can
only feel through helping someone come to the true and everlasting
gospel. What an opportunity! What an experience! What a blessing! I
testify that this church is the true church of God and that it is for
everyone. Absolutely everyone. It WILL bring you so much joy as you
follow and keep the commandments. One commandment that is greatly
overlooked is keeping the sabbath day holy. That includes going to
church. I testify that church attendance is essential. God wouldn't
have told us to go if it weren't important. If you try to listen to
the Holy Ghost as you attended church, you learn so much. I know
church attendance has greatly blessed my life and I KNOW it will bless
yours. I leave these things with you in the name of our Savior Jesus
Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment