Monday, October 21, 2013

August 26, 2013~First letter home


General e-mail to share:

My week has been an interesting one. It has been very rough, and I haven't known what to do. My companion doesn't feel too good. On Thursday, it hit hard and she couldn't move. It is so bad that she has to sleep a lot, can hardly move at times, and there are moments when she has to lay on the floor where she was standing, and she can't get up. The pain gets so intense that it shoots through her. Because she has been feeling so sick, I had to do a split once with the hermonas (the Spanish sisters). Hermona Gonzolez and I, both being greenies, went and taught one of our investigators. The Spirit was there to guide us, so was a good experience for us. Also, because my companion has been so sick, I have been the one driving. The Chicago drivers are a little more forgiving, but they are CRAZY! My goodness, in one day, I was almost hit twice by people who cut me off. The crazies. Sheesh. I am definitely improving on my driving skills though. We are lucky we haven't been pulled over I think. Sister Braten says I'm doing good, but I feel like a terrible driver. I accidentally ran a stop sign yesterday, but luckily, no one was there to see it, so it was all good. I saw a car that had a sticker on the trunk saying, "Patience please, student driver." I wish I had one. Yesterday, my companion was finally able to get strength, and she got in the shower. I couldn't help but take that chance to cry. I couldn't help it. It's hurting me terribly  to see her go through that pain and not be able to do anything to help. It's ripping me up and at times.
We have had some good moments this last week, along with the hard. Like I said, another greenie and I were able to teach the lesson. The next day (yesterday), that same investigator came to church. There is another investigator that is on parole and we thought he would be on for five years, meaning he couldn't be baptized until then. He really wants to be baptized. We talked to yesterday and he said that his parole is actually only two years, and for good behavior, no drinking, and getting a job, his parole can be shortened to only six months. It has already been two, so he might be able to be baptized in four months! This poor guy doesn't know that he can't be baptized quite yet. We don't know how to break the news to him. He wants so badly to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost to help in as he works to do what's right. His family doesn't like this and work to make him smoke and drink again, but he is resisting. I wonder what's going to happen when he finds out about his baptismal date having to be moved. Another investigator that has been avoiding us has finally opened up to us. She even asked us on her own what scripture we would like her to read to prepare for our next visit. That was such a surprise! Also, our AC has been broken, so each night we sweat to death. I was feelings so desperate to figure out what I could possibly do to help my companion to feel better. The heat in the apartment wasn't making her feel any better. Suddenly, our AC started to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hasn't worked since I have been here, and suddenly it did. Such a miracle. I hope the next miracle will be that the people in the rooms surrounding us will stop smoking weed. The smell fills our apartment often and makes me want to vomit. I couldn't finish exercising outside today because the smell made me feel a little sick to my stomach. It wasn't as bad inside, especially because we didn't have to open the windows to get air because our AC finally worked.
There are quite a few amazing people in the ward who really help us out and go with us to appointments. They are also a great comfort when I'm feeling down. I'm so grateful for them, especially Missy Cochran. She's awesome! She also served a mission and loves coming with us to visit our investigators. She stays at home while her husband is at medical school, so loves to come with us and we love it! :) There are quite a few med school students in the ward.
You asked some questions about my companion and my area. Well, first of, all I really know is that our area is the Westchester area. We attend the Westchester 1st ward. I am still trying to understand all the of the mission terms. There is so much to learn and take in. Each morning we get up at 6:30, have personal study, companion ship study, exercise, and then prepare for the day. We are usually in at night by 9 to 9:30. As for the food we eat, well, we don't have time to cook for ourselves, so we eat quick unhealthy things at times. When members feed us, they make amazing food. One of our investigators is from Nigeria and will make us Nigerian food. It so so spicy! I have to have a glass of water with me to make it through the meal. It's so tasty though, although I do struggle to get myself to eat the fish. I do it though! There was a newly wed couple that we ate with on Saturday. They made such an amazing stir fry. The dessert was a par fay (if that's how you spell it). It consisted of granola, yogurt, apple slices, blue berries, and kiwi. It was so good! Best healthy dessert ever! I think you also asked me about my companion. She is awesome. She's from St. George and has been out for 10 months. Everyone loves her, including me! It's fun to watch everyone flock to her because they are so eager to talk to her. She is a great trainer, even though she thinks other wise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment