Monday, October 21, 2013

September 16, 2013


General e-mail:

Well, what a week. It felt so long and so short at the same time. It's kind of crazy. While out on a mission, time becomes messed up. Very messed up. I still can't believe that at the end of this week, I will have been on my mission for two months (this includes MTC time). There have been moments when I have been super happy, and then super sad and discouraged. I feel bipolar! There are moments when the Spirit is so strong, and moments when I feel like the devil is wanting to rip me in pieces. But even though this has been super rough, it has been great. This has not been easy, but it such a great thing to be a part of. I feel so lucky that I get to be here to serve the Lord. There are moments when I'm grateful I'm only out for 18 months, and moments when I wish I could be out for a full 24 months.
Something I have learned from being on my mission is something I have been working on for a while. The trick to life is to just smile and be happy. Fake it until you make it! Just think positive thoughts. Through thinking positive and focusing on Gods work, throwing ones self into the work, time seems to fly and burdens aren't as hard as they used to be. This also builds confidence.
Confidence is something I am really lacking at the moment. I found out Saturday night what's happening with transfers this week. My companion, Sister Roos, will be opening a new area, Chicago Heights. I will stay here and will be training. I feel like this is crazy. I have only been out for six weeks. I'm not surprised this is happening though. About three weeks into the field, I got the feeling I would be training. I dreaded the time it would come, and now it's here. I hope this greenie isn't shy like me. If she's anything like me, I'll cry. I can't even handle how shy I am at times. 
Two Saturdays ago, one of the investigators I was teaching got baptized. It was a crazy experience trying to pull everything together for the baptism. While filling up the font, we had a problem. The plug wasn't working and the water was draining out. I found some tuba wear and stuck it over the plug. The suction pulled it on, so it wasn't draining as badly, so we were able to continue with the baptism. 
We dropped one of our investigators. We tried to help him, but he refused to change. When he was with us, he seemed excited to change, but it's like he has two different personalities. He's one way when with the missionaries, and another when with friends. He isn't making good choices and we feel we could be put in danger by his behavior, so we will no longer be working with him.
One investigator that I haven't been able to see this week is Uba. He's from Nigeria. He's so cool and he always makes Nigerian food. It's so spicy! I always have to have water with me while I eat, or my mouth burns. He works a lot, so sometimes, it's hard to see him. He's a cop, a lawyer, and a CT (Chicago Transit). He has felt the Spirit, but he has a hard time recognizing the Spirit. We point it out to him, but he's very logical, which makes it very hard, but hopefully, he will recognize it soon.
Tayla with the Mission Presidents
If I have sounded negative in my above comments, I apologize. I truly love this missionary work. I really do. I have been so blessed with the opportunity to come out here and serve God. My testimony has grown so much. I have met so many amazing people and have felt the Spirit and Gods love like never before. This work is not easy, but it is worth it. This gospel is true. If there are any doubts, pray to learn. Pry to know the truth. This gospel has been given to us. It is a great gift and it is true! God is hastening his work because people have been prepared and are still being prepared to receive the gospel. Christ's Gospel is here to bless everyone and it breaks my heart when people won't give the missionaries a chance to share a simple message. God loves everyone and that's why he has called so many people to be missionaries. This is very important! So many of my prayers have been answered. God has been with me through each trial, and I have felt his protection. He want's to be there for all His children, they just need to let Him know they want Him in their lives. There are so many people here who have lost their testimonies or haven't learned for themselves that it is true because they haven't tried. God has given us what we need to come back to him; all we need to do is act and have faith. Those who do have a testimony need to do all that they can with no fear to help others receive the gospel. This can be done by simply sharing a testimony or inviting friends to family home evening or church. Don't be afraid. It's God's work, not ours. Invite the Spirit and the Spirit will do the rest. Don't be afraid. To all who may be reading this, be prepared and worthy to always have the Spirit in your life. When you do this, you are  telling God you want Him in your life, and he will guide you. God strengthens families and protects them from unseen dangers. All you have to do is follow Him. Follow the example Christ set while he was here on this earth. To start, follow CPR for the Spirit. Attend Church, Pray, and Read the scriptures. Study the Book of Mormon daily. Through always doing these three things, your spirit will be strengthened, you will have a stronger connection with God, and you and your family will be guided by God. Never forget this! I promise with all my heart this is true and it means the world to me. If I didn't know it was true, I wouldn't have put everything on hold for 18 months to serve God. I bear this testimony to you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment