Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August 04, 2014

General Email:
Last week was a very good week... Kind of slow, yet fast... hm. Monday was a good p-day. Did the same thing as usual really. Tuesday was fun as we got to help a member with family history. We didn't get very far because her web browser was super old and not loading things well, so we had to download a new browser. We then went to a lesson with some investigators. Oh my goodness, let me tell, this was an amazing lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This investigator has struggled to accept that there could only be one church with God's priesthood authority, and didn't want to come to church. Well, her husband has started reading the Book of Mormon with her and suddenly, they are learning a ton and doing amazing. At the lesson, she told us that after reading 1 Nephi 14, and about the difference between God's church and false churches, it all clicked. She said, "This is true. This is the true church. There is truth in other churches, they just don't ave all of it. There are good people in other churches, and they are just being prepared for this church." She then said another marvelous thing. She said, "We want to go to church on Sunday as a family. Could you find us a ride?" Ah!!! I almost started crying from feeling so happy! That's like a dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for her!!!! She seems so much happier too!
Wednesday was great. We got to go out and have a district lunch, which was super fun. I love the Hermonas and the Elders in our district. They are all such hard working and wonderful missionaries. So amazing!
Thursday was our Sister Training Meeting in Chicago. It took about two hours to get there, thanks to Chicago traffic. I'm sure it would only take half that time if traffic weren't so bad. I got to see two of my past companions, Sister Bonvissuto and Sister Lepule. They are doing great and super happy with where they are. Sister Bonvissuto is in the city, which she has been hoping for. She loves it there. The theme was, "Becoming Perfect in Christ." We talked about overcoming perfectionism. While singing a song, the Spirit was so strong, and it hit me that I'm running out of time on my mission. That really put me in tears! Ah! I know six months might seem like forever, but not in the missionary world. It's hard for me to imagine that I have been out for a year. That's just not real. I feel like the kid in the YouTube Video, "David at the Dentist," when he's asking, "Is this real life?" How strange. Yeah, I'm not ready to come home anytime soon. The people here are so wonderful. I must say that this area is my favorite. It has been the perfect place for me to learn and grow, and I feel closer to this ward and the people than I did in the last. This ward is really working to improve and get missionary work going, and trying to help the members increase their faith more and more. It's just wonderful. I feel so loved and watched over here. I'm so happy here. Tansfers will be coming soon. Next week is the last full week of the transfer. That means that not this coming Saturday, but the next, we will find out if one of us stays and the other leaves. This is scary because Sister North and I have been together for three transfers. That's usually the longest that missionaries are kept together. There are some missionaries that have never had a companion for longer than two transfers. The odds are against us. We will probably get split. Problem is, neither of us want to leave here. I know I have said that about my previous areas, but I REALLY REALLY DON'T WANT TO LEAVE HERE!!!! This area means a lot to me. A LOT. I have grown so much here in much needed ways. I really hope to have the privilege of staying here one more transfer. I'm so grateful for the amazing ward members, missionaries, and people that I have met here. I love them so much!
Friday, we had a mini missionary with us, which is a young women from a near by ward that comes out with us for four days to see what it is like to be a missionary. Ours was amazing and so much energy, was always positive, and just so special. She has such an amazing testimony!
Saturday was interesting as we were rejected at a door, but sang them a song. As we sang, the Spirit was there and was so strong! Rather than being quick to close the door on us like most people, they kept waving good bye to us as we left. That's a lesson to remember, always leave someone feeling the Spirit. They may not remember what you said, but they will remember the way you made them feel. :)
Sunday was a good day. We got to meet with great people. The sad part was that the four days was up with our mini missionary. We wanted to keep her, but decided it would be best to give her back. ;) We had a fun meeting where each companionship with a mini missionary got to go up and brag about the amazing youth that came out with them, and then that mini missionary got to go up and share her testimony. It was a wonderful experience. I loved it a lot.
Monday, today, has been very good. Sister North and I found shirts that have the name of the area and city in which we are serving, so we bought them. We have matching shirts now. Way to build companion unity! :D ;) I have reflected a lot today and throughout this past week on my many experiences, and the things I am experiencing now. I would like to share a little bit of my thoughts on it by sharing a little clip of what I wrote to my awesomely beautful fantabulous (no, that's not a real word) big sister. "This week, I have developed a testimony of trials, and how much of a blessing they really are. They are never fun when you are in the middle of them. Never. But, when thrown into the refiners fire, these weaknesses are removed and we become stronger. Did you know that when metal is in a fire and impurities are removed, the metal become more reflective, and the more you can see your reflection in the metal, the stronger and more pure you are. No wonder the Savior used this as a metaphor. The Lord puts us in the fire to make us stronger and more pure, and as we go through this process, we begin to look more like our Savior or Heavenly Father, as they can see their reflection in us.
I am truly grateful, to the point that I might cry as I am writing this, that the Savior loves me enough to let me struggle. I wouldn't be who I am now if I hadn't gone through what I have. I'm afraid to see what I would have become had I not come on a mission. The Lord knows what He is doing and what we need to reach our full potential. It's one thing to say this, it's another to experience it. I'm definitely experiencing it." I truly am learning what a blessing it is to go through trials, and to use the skills we are developing to turn a weakness into a strength, to become a better person, to change ourselves to resemble our Father in heaven. It truly is a blessing. What has helped me through this trial is reading the scriptures, which do hold the power to come closer to Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ. The sciptures are more powerful and special that we can truly comprehend. While reading in 1 Nephi 2-5, this principle really hit me. Usually when reading the story of Nephi, I would learn about the power of faith and diligence, but today, it really hit me that scriptures are so special. The Lord knew that the scriptures have the power to help us come unto Christ, so he wouldn't let Lehi and his family leave without taking the scriptures with them, or else there wouldn't have been a point in them leaving because their descendants would "dwindle in unbelief." The Lord explains that it was indeed necessary for Laban to die in order for the scriptures to be obtained because, if he kept the scriptures, and entire nation would have dwindled in unbelief and perished. The scriptures have the power to save a nation. They have the power to save you. They have the power to save me. They are a great gift from God! :D Even Moroni says in Moroni 10:27, "And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust?" The Lord will ask us on judgment day if you have read, studied, and used the scriptures. Make sure you use them! Don't neglect, or as the scriptures say, "wrest" the scriptures. I leave my testimony with you that if you read, study, and ponder the scriptures, you will be lead on the right path that will help you become perfected in Christ and you will find everlasting joy and eternal life. I say these things in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.









No comments:

Post a Comment