Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August 25, 2014

I must say, this week has been an eventful one. Transfers were interesting. I was a little nerves because Sister North has the GPS. I had the thought that if my new companion didn't have one, how were we going to find our way home? And could I survive the crazy Chicago traffic? I have done it before, but it's really not my favorite! Lucky for me, a Sister in the ward volunteered to drive us. I'm so happy! She had a GPS too, so the only problem we ran into was traffic. Good ol traffic. Because we don't have a GPS, we have had fun relying on my memory to get us around, and a paper map. We sharpened our map reading skills this week. Thankfully, our ward mission leader is letting us barrow his GPS, so we're surviving. As a missionary in Chicago, having one of those handy dandy devices is a must, or you just can't find your way anywhere.
So many missionaries just finished their missions and went home. One of them was Hermona Felt. I call her my step mom because when my first companion got sick and had to go home and I was waiting for my new trainer to come, I stayed with Hermona Felt and her companion. I love Hermona Felt and can't believe she's home now. What an amazing example she is. Her mom is amazing too and has sent me letters in the past. I can see where Hermona Felt got her loving personality. :D It is hitting me a little more as I am realizing that my time as a missionary is running out. I have just a little more than five months. That time is going to fly by so fast, I'm not ready for it! It might seem like a while, but in missionary life, a day is a week but a week is a day. I have learned so much as a missionary, it's hard to picture myself being... normal.... anyway, I won't think about that! Not until it's time to be home. No distractions! No regrets!!! 
Last week, it rained hard and we've had some flooding. I have learned my lesson and haven't tried to go through any big puddles... ha ha. One part of my area got hit hard. There was a mini-van floating on the road and boats were brought in to rescue people from their homes. Luckily, my apartment was just fine. The only way you could it had rained hard was because the pond behind my apartment was overflowing. The ducks were enjoying it though, especially the baby ducks. 
We have had the fun opportunity to help build a house. I even got to use a heavy duty saw that cuts metal. Yeah, I feel pretty cool. ;) It's coming along well. I'm so happy I'm developing some house building skills. In my last area, we got to help tare down the walls of the house. That's a but different, and a lot easier. You don't have to be as careful. :D 
I hope everyone is doing well. This world is such a crazy one. Just as Elder Holland said, the gap between the world and us is getting bigger. We are standing out more and more and the world is seeing us as strange and unrealistic. Many of the youth are struggling. They are conforming to the ways of the world, even though it's against God's standards. Make sure you are all working to help yourselves and others have spiritual experiences that will build their testimonies. Help lift others so that they can reach the potential and happiness that can only be achieved through God's true gospel. Don't sit idly by. Go out and let the world see your example. An individual can't be an example or grow if they are sitting in their home waiting for a perfect opportunity to come. They only come when you are out there acting. You will be doing the Lord more good acting than sitting and keeping to yourself. Keep working hard! :D Remember, every member a missionary. Take this seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll say it again. Take this seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And one more time for good repetition. 
Take this seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say one more time? I meant two more times. Take this seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are in the latter days and this is the last chance for so many people. We need to help as many people as we can. If we don't open our mouths, then the answer is automatically no. If we try, then one day, as is said in Alma 5, we will be able to stand before Heavenly Father and can say we did our best to bring salvation and eternal life to our bothers and sister around us. I know it can be hard, and it's hard to face the negativity and harsh reactions of the world, but you can do it! Just remember how quiet and shy I used to be. Remember this, "If Sister Wells can do it, I can do it." This used to be SO  HARD, but with practice, it becomes easier. Do a role play at FHE on giving away a mormon.org card or sharing something about our beliefs. YOU CAN DO IT! The Lord needs you! Don't forget!
Love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great week!!!! :D
P.S: I think I forgot to mention that my new companion is Sister Beauchamp. She is from Spokan Washington. She has been out for six months. She's super sweet. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment