Saturday, January 11, 2014

December 23, 2013

General Email: 

I have been told that some of you aren't receiving the e-mail. I apologize. I hope you get it!
Okay, so before I start, I want to share a really weird experience I had this last week. My companion and I went up to a door and knocked. The man who opened looked rather intimidated. He didn't say a thing, but after we introduced ourselves, he waved his hand to say no and closed the door. I noticed he was watching us as we walked to the next house. No one was home, so we went to the next. The lady opened the door and right before we could introduce ourselves, her phone rang. She asked us to hold on. She picked up the phone, and what ever the person on the phone said must have startled her because she froze. She then said, "Hold on, their at my front door." This shocked me. Who was calling her about us? It quickly dawned on me that it must have been that man who was staring at us from the window and who said nothing at the door. She came back to the door and said very meanly, "So, what's your reason for casing the place?" All I could think was, whoah! What did that man say about us? I introduced ourselves as missionaries. She just had a strange look like she didn't care or believe us and said she wasn't interested. The rest of the houses was the same. The people aren't very sneaky. As we knocked on each door, we could see them on their phones, just watching us. The strange/unkind rumor that man was spreading, was moving VERY quickly. There was only one kind lady who opened the door and kindly said she wasn't interested (maybe the neighbors didn't have her number?), and another only opened the door when we had walked a good distance away. She called out her apologies and said she didn't open the door because it was dark and she didn't know us. We told her we understood. At this point, I was feeling uncomfortable. Everyone thought we were up to no good. I had heard stories of people calling cops. I mentioned to my companion that maybe they would. She said she didn't think so. The next thing I know, a cop car comes screaming down the road. By this point, my heart wanted to explode! I was so grateful I remembered to bring my card with me that shows I'm authorized to proselyte. Then I worried because my companion keeps forgetting to find hers. As the cop got closer, my heart was beating HARD. Then, it past us and kept going around the corner. My companion, knowing how easily I worry, just started laughing at me. At the time, I didn't think it was that funny, but now, it's so hilarious! People can be so strange. We went knocking on doors last night, and there was this one house where the people just stared at us as we went from door to door, like we were freaks. My companion pointed out that we do look rather weird. We're two young and small girls, walking around in the dark, wearing dresses in the middle of winter, walking from door to door inviting people to learn more about Christ. I guess we're an interesting sight.
The investigator that told us he wanted to be baptized has disappeared again! We just don't understand. For four solid weeks, he was just, gone. He suddenly comes back, says he really wants to get baptized, is around for less than one week, and then disappears again. We don't know what's going on. We hope he'll appear soon. We really want to help him.
I do have some sad knews about some of our ward members, The Silskis. Please keep them in your prayers at this time. They are a older couple in the ward. They are so wonderful and have us over for dinner every other week. They are so in love and always comment on how they don't know what they'll do when the other one goes because they are just so in love. They love missionary work and the temple. They are always going to the temple. We got to go on Thursday as a zone, and we saw them there. We found out that the very next day, brother Silski almost died! He was still in the ICU yesterday. He had an abdominal aneurism. They didn't think he would make it through the night, but thankfully, he did! His intestines were so swolen that they couldn't sow him closed. They should have done that yesterday from what I understand. Poor Sister Silski said she has never felt so alone. This is so hard for her. To think we saw him smiling and feeling so well and happy at the temple just the day before he almost died. We really hope he pulls through. We love him so much! Keep them in your prayers please!
Have you ever thought about how important and amazing scriptures are? Have you ever realized how lucky we are to be a part of the church that contains the fullness of the gospel. Have you ever realized how truly amazing the priesthood and the gospel is? Do we know what we have? I don't think we really do. I'm coming to realize so much more how lucky we are and what we really have. We need to remember to always be grateful that we are a part of this. Don't take it for granted. ALWAYS be grateful for these wonderful gifts. Just this last General Conference, a commitment was given to all members to work to invite someone to come to church and learn more about the Gospel before Christmas. If you haven't already done this, you're running out of time. Hop to it! It really isn't as scary as you think. Just be bold and comfortable in talking about your wonderful church. This message has the ability to save people. Seriously! It can really bless their lives. They can be so much happier and feel even greater peace as they come closer to their Heavenly Father. Don't let your fear get in the way of that. I'm still working to overcome my fears. It is very hard for me at times to share this message with people (especially when they close the door as soon as they see us). I used to be SUPER shy. Remember? If I can do this, so can you! I love you all. Remember to get to work. We made the covenant to stand as a witness of God when we were baptized. Don't forget to do it. Let the whole world know!!! This really is something amazing and exciting. We have a great and wonderful responsibility! :D
Love,
Sister Tayla Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment