Tuesday, July 8, 2014

June 09, 2014

General Email:
This last week was an interesting one. We had exchanges from Monday to Tuesday. The last time we did, I stayed in my area while Sister North went to Chicago. This time, I went to Chicago with the Sister Training Leader while Sister North stayed in our area. Chicago is interesting. Oh! Before I forget, the Sister Training Leaders live just down the street from President Obama's home. I saw his house. Interesting. Yes, it was VERY well patrolled. Lots of big signs warning people of the consequences of trespassing. You do a lot of walking in the city and meet many interesting people. I admit, while driving, I'm not very patient, especially when the men are staring at us because we are two little white girls passing through the neighbor hood. There were a couple I wanted to punch in the face if they didn't stop staring from their car windows (that may sound harsh, but they were creepy). There was one guy that kept yelling, trying to get our attention at a red light. We just ignored him. As a result, while driving away, the van he was in accelerated and he yelled, "Take this!" and threw something back at our car. I think it was just a piece of paper or a cigarette. I would love to call him a immature little moron, but I won't, even though I kind of just did. It's amazing how in the city, the adults are so misbehaved. Oh well. Along with all these mean people are a lot of wonderful people. They're all mixed together. It's not easy to find them, but when you do, it's worth it.
I've noticed that the city is beginning to feel familiar in a way, kind of like home. I'm getting comfortable with it. Who knew?! I still don't think I would ever choose to live here though. :) It's just not home. 
Some investigators came to church yesterday! Woot! But, I'm nerves about one of them. I think he may be interested in the missionaries in the wrong way. I think he was flirting a little. This is a BIG NO! We're going to have to figure out how to work with him. It's not the right time to give him to the Elders, but if he doesn't change his behavior, that will just be something we need to do. He's a good kid, but he just doesn't seem to get that we are missionaries ALL THE TIME, not just for a few hours each day. We'll see what happens.
What I have been learning within the past couple of weeks is the power of attitude. Of course, we all know that a good attitude changes everything. However, it's on thing to know it, and it's another thing to actually apply it and work to obtain it. Sometimes, it's pretty hard to maintain a good attitude, especially when dealing with so many people who react to missionaries in various ways. But, just think, if one can master having a positive attitude and always focusing on what they are grateful for while on a mission, then it will be that much easier when done with the mission, and it will be a skill that can bless many for life. It's that small, basic, yet huge and powerful thing. Our thoughts. Our focus. What we think is what we become. We reflect what we think. Do you want to change the world? Change your thoughts. I found a scripture in 2 Nephi. I think it was in chapter 14, but it said the people couldn't hide their sin because it showed in their countenance. We really do reflect our thoughts, what we say, what we read, what we listen to, etc. It really shows through. This brings us to a very important question. What are we focused on? As I have paid more attention to my thoughts, I have found that I tend to focus on the mean people more than the kind. I focus and the negative rather than the positive. Don't do this!!! I remember while in college last year, I took the challenge to find 100 or more things I was grateful for in about a couple of weeks to a months time (if I remember correctly). I had to write them down, and write down WHY I was grateful for it, how it was unique to me. I did this, and because I felt like finding 100 things to be grateful for within that time frame would be hard, I focused on finding what I was grateful for ALL the time. What was the result? The world felt as if it changed. It didn't change though. It was just me. It was just my thoughts. That's it. The change that took place was in me. I was so happy. Nothing negative seemed to affect me. You know how one bad thing happens in your day and when someone asks you how your day was, you automatically go to that hard thing and focus on it, giving it priority, and forgetting some of the good? My mind changed gear, and I was forgetting the bad and remembering the good. My mind had completely changed and I was at a point that I could change the world because I had no limits set up in my mind about what I could or couldn't do. I share this with you to help you all see the importance of our minds. What are we giving it? In the June 2014 Ensign, there is an article called, "Media with Merit." I loved it. I also loved the talk in this last General Conference by President Uchtdorf on gratitude. They are amazing and show us the importance of our minds and what we put in it. I can promise you that if you focus on the good, let go of grudges, put away all entertainment that is in any way "a little inappropriate," use entertainment that uplifts and inspires, focus on ALL the good that is around you, seek to serve others, and just forget yourself. You will be so happy. Truly happy. Happier than you could have ever imagined. It doesn't matter what you're going through. 
I feel like I needed to say this. If any of you who are reading my letter are struggling and needed to hear this, please remember God loves you. Just be happy by focusing on the good. I've realized that is says over and over and over again in the scriptures to "give thanks," and to "remember the goodness of God." In other words, be grateful in your circumstances. Just focus on the good. If anything negative comes to mind, sing a hymn, or write a scripture down and keep it in with you at all times. If you feel the temptation to focus on anything that is not pure, happy, uplifting, or productive, take out the card, try to memorized the scripture, and think to yourself, "Take that world." Memorize scriptures that mean something to you. Pray to have the Spirit with you at all times. He can help these scriptures to have special meaning to you and to have a power that heals and comforts. Remember Doctrine and Covenants 6:36. Christ is speaking and says, "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." Look to Christ in every thought. What does this mean? It means to remember with a grateful heart Gods plan. It means to always be grateful for what you have because it is a blessing from a loving Heavenly Father who sent His son, our brother, our Savior, our Redeemer, our friend, to die for. Christ did it willing because he loves you. Never forget the goodness that comes from him and the Atonement. Never forget that each and every moment is a blessing. You are alive. You are loved. You are here, and you are never alone. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment