Tuesday, July 8, 2014

June 30, 2014

General Email:
Alright, I think I e-mailed everyone back. If I didn't, just let me know. I don't want to miss anyone.
Okay, so, since I was in a rush last week, I didn't get to talk about a few things. First off, I mowed a lawn for the first time!!!! Wooo!!!! Back in Utah, I wanted to learn how, but people always mowed it before I got the chance to even try (Cough cough, dad and Colton). I also got to weed wack. From this experience, I got a nasty blister on my left thumb. Two days after getting it, it started to ooz puss, so I talked to the mission nurse and she said to soak it in warm salt water. I guess germs can't survive in warm salt water. It did the trick! It's healing very nicely now. It's not nearly as tender as it was in the beginning. It was so tender that I couldn't do my hair. Just my hair applying pressure to it hurt. My companion had to throw it into a quick braid. Apart from getting a blister, I'm so happy I finally got to mow a lawn!!!! Woot!!!! 


I had an awesome moment where my custodial skills came into play. I went to go see an investigator who hasn't been feeling to good. When we got to her house, the floor was very dirty because her vacuum had been broken for about a week. I asked my companion for her pocket knife that has a screw driver, opened up the vacuum, unclogged it, and it works!!! And we vacuumed her floor. Working on custodial at BYU is coming in handy here. :D
There was a day where we were on the go so much, I really needed to use the bathroom, and my companion didn't believe me. Finally, I made it very clear that we needed to find a bathroom NOW, so a ward member that was with us drove us to a Walgreens, and they had no bathroom!!!!!! But luckily, Subway did and was close by. Woo, that was terrible. It was funny after I was able to find a bathroom. My companion still laughs at me. This is the problem with missionary work. You can never use the bathroom when knocking doors or when you have a really busy day. Oh well. The member bought us each a cookie. :D Also, funny story, some random guy called us. His name is Jake, and he's from Utah. He's out here selling Seven Peaks Water Park passes and he likes to throw in that he's a Mormon as he goes door to door. He found someone who wanted to learn more, so we met up with him at the mans house. However, when he saw we were girls, he changed his mind and said he would like Jake to teach him. Jake did his best to explain that we were missionaries and it was what we did for 18 months straight, sharing the gospel is what we do! But he didn't change his mind. Oh well. It was awesome to see a member working hard to share the gospel. I want to be like that when I come home. Remember, every member is a missionary!!! Don't forget to try to share the gospel!!! Seriously, don't forget!

We had a cool experience last week where Sister North got the feeling to call a less active family. When we called, the member said, "how did you know something happened?" We said we didn't, but that we felt we needed to call. I guess her sons car hydroplaned on the express way and he was hit by two semi's. One head on, and another T-boned him. He walked away from the accident just fine though. He had a slight concussion. It's a miracle really. The paramedic were so shocked. The bishop came and gave her a blessing (the bishop is their nephew). We also had a lesson with this family yesterday. It's amazing to see all the changes that have occurred, how happy they are, and how much they are beginning to love the Book of Mormon. :D

So, get this, we went to a pizza place on Wednesday, and whenever we go out to eat, I love to draw a fun message on a napkin with the churches websites on the bottom, and Sister North places a mormon.org card next to it. The person taking our dirty plates was a woman who seemed very kind. We went back to this same pizza place on Friday, just two days later. While Sister North and I went to the food counter to get pizza, we saw the woman who gathered our dirty plates a couple of nights before, standing behind the food counter. I other tell her coworker, "thos are the girls who left me a mormon.org card..." I couldn't hear the rest. As soon as she finishe talking to her coworker, he came over to us and asked if there was anything he could help us with. We said no, but thanks. he and the woman watched us throught the time we were there. There happened to be a Baptist preacher there, someone that Sister North met months ago before I came. We heard him ask the woman if she had a faith. She said she grew up Catholic, but after losing her child, she stopped going. After hearing that part, Sister North and I looked at each other and realized we had the same idea. I flipped over the napkin I had just drawn a fun message on and wrote my testimony about the Plan of Salvation, how death wasn't the end and how we would see our loved ones again someday. Hopefully the man who was gathering the dirty plates saw it and showed it to his coworkers. It seemed to create quite the stir the last time, enough that people were curious of who were are and they watched us the entire time we were there. It should hopefully catch their attention again. :D

We taught two lessons on Thursday. It's amazing to see the difference in teaching people who are prepared for the gospel, and others who are still a little closed off, but still want to learn. The one who is a little closed off, in a round about way, accused us of being judgmental of others and saying that people are worshiping God wrong by saying people need to go to church. I asked her this, "If you knew God's church was on the earth, wouldn't you go to it?" She said yes. I then asked, "How would you know it was His true church?" This got her thinking. We explained that God's true church IS here on the earth today. He has given us guidelines to live by. He has told us how He is going to judge us. He isn't going to expect us to live blindly and then say, "Oops, you didn't do this like you were supposed to." He has told us very clearly what we must do. She can only know this for herself if she reads, prays, and comes to church to discover for herself if this is indeed, God's true church. The woman we taught after was more open. Her kids came home near the beginning of the lesson. Her son got very interested and asked some amazing questions. Even his mom was shocked. At the end, he wanted his own Book of Mormon and said he would read the introduction. Wow!!! What a neat experience. 

We got to help one of the Elders investigators move on Saturday, we helped with a garage sell, and we got to attend a baptism. Something went wrong with the water and it was brown. The person getting baptized was a great sport and went on ahead and got baptized anyway. :D What a great sport. Our 29 year old investigator came. He described the baptism as uplifting and inspiring. :D He read the introduction of the Book of Mormon and said it was enlightening. Wow. How amazing. 

Transfer calls come this week. I really don't want to leave, and I don't want Sister North to leave either. We have our moments, but we love working together, and there are some people here that we really want to keep working with. Ah! I really hope we get one more transfer together and have the opportunity to keep working with the amazing people in this area. They truly are wonderful. This is my favorite area, to be honest. It feels so nice to be here, and there are so many wonderful people. Although, if one of us does leave, "come what may and love it." It won't be easy, but wonderful things are always happening, no matter who is where.
It hit me the other day that I have hit 11 months are serving. Tomorrow, I can say, "this month I hit my year mark." Wow. So strange. I have seven months left here. It feels like forever, yet, no time at all. The time to go home seems so distant, yet, too close. What a strange feeling... I'm happy though. I have so much more learning to do. There are so many things to learn and to do. Seriously though, it's so strange. I'm in my eighth tansfer. Next week I hit transfer nine, and will only have four more transfers left..... AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We won't think about this for now.

I hope you are all having an amazing week. I got an update from my sister that she is working to be a great member missionary. What are you doing to share the gospel? Remember, it doesn't have to be anything big. Create the opportunity for them to feel the Spirit, and the Holy Ghost will do the rest. Just let him guide you. Also, remember this, you never really know what is in a persons heart. Just invite them to learn. You never know what they will say. For example, my companion and I met someone the other day. I chickened out and didn't ask her if she would like to learn more. My companion, howeverl, did, and they lady said, "Sure, why not." Wow. See, you never know!!!! Just ask and create opportunities to learn more. In my personal study today, I read in 3 Nephi about when Christ was visiting the people in America. He said very clearly to declare the gospel to the world. Everyone reading this letter, remember that, even though you may not be wearing a name tag, God still expects you to reach and share His gospel with His children. He will give you the opportunities and strength to do so as you ask Him for help. He loves them as much as he loves you and He wants ALL of His children to come back to Him. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment